Re: Straight to SID...

Tom wrote:
To install my system, I normally boot off Woody CD, install only the minimal/base packages, reboot, upgrade the kernel, reboot, and then install the rest of my SID debs I keep on my hard drive.

(1) When booting from the Woody CD, what would happen if I said "don't get the base system from the CD" and instead point sources.list to my local SID partial mirror, assuming it has a SID version of the base.

(2) If (1) works, I suppose it's okay to install an upgraded kernel during the "do you want to run tasksel or deselect" phase.

This would reduce my setup times from about 30 minutes to about 20 minutes.

I've done something very similar when doing a chroot install.
My steps look like this:

- Boot Knoppix, partition drive as desired
- wget the basedebs.tar and run debootstrap
- run base-config, when prompted for apt-sources point it at
unstable *
- skip tasksel and go into dselect, select desired packages and go
- enjoy a freshly installed Sid system

* I do this by choosing the "edit by hand" option (or something similar)
rather than using the avialable list of sources from the install
program, as all of those point to Woody sources.

-Roberto