Re: Outgoing SMTP ports

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 23:18, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 02:06 GMT, BruceG penned:
> > On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 20:36, James W. Thompson, II wrote:
> >> When sendmail sends mail destined for outside my server what port is
> >> it coming from and what port is it going to? 25? And does it use TCP,
> >> UDP or both?
> >>
> >> -Dubbs
> >>
> > I believe sendmail uses TCP port 25, and ipopd uses TCP port 110.
> > Least that's how I configured my Linksys router for port-forwarding
> > and it's working.
> >

> For incoming, right?  For outgoing, you shouldn't need a special router
> rule.

You're right. The router will not block outbound connections over www,
pop and smtp.(at least I don't have it configured to do so!). But it
will block inbound connections - so you need to set up port forwarding
to allow selected ports in and to NAT them to an inside server.

But - reading the original note, he was asking about outbound ports, so
my post has been completely (um, er, ahem) off topic.

(I noticed when replying using Ximian Evolution, it does the to: as the
original poster. If I reply to all, it cc:'s the debian-user list. I had
to delete the to: and move debian-users from cc: to to:  Wonder why that
is?)