xkbdcomp reports mysterious error

When running X, I get the following error message from the server:

  The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
  > Error:            No Symbols named "°V5@°V5@" in the include file "de"
  >                   Exiting
  >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
  Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

This is quite plausible, since although the right keyboard layout is
chosen in XF86Config ("pc104" and "de"), two keys do not work as
supposed, namely AltGr and Bksp, which are interpreted as Alt_R and
Delete, respectively (reported by xev).

Now although I'm not even sure whether Debian uses xmodmap or xkb,
this error message clearly seems to hint that it uses the latter, and
that the error is the reason of the problem.

Can anybody tell me what it means? Does the symbol xkbdcomp looks for
make sense, or is something seriously broken?

Thanks for any help!

Florian