Re: can't set hdparm -d1 and correct kernel config

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 20:34, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 October 2003 03:32 pm, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have 2 matrox hd disks and whenever i want to set the dma to 1 i
> > get this error: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> > The first is a 40 Gb Matrox IDE and the second a 120 GB Matrox IDE.
> > They are recent disks (< 1 year). My motherboard is abit b6, intel
> > 440bx chipset PIIX4 IDE. lspci reports that it's a intel 440bx
> > chipset (82443 BX/ 82371 EB)
> >
> > A while ago i recompiled the kernel for LVM support and i think i
> > might have excluded something that the kernel needs to set the dma.
> > What kernel options do i need to have set in order to allow dma=1?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Benedict
>
> >>Use this command to see what kernel options there are and what is
> >>selected in your kernel config file located in  /boot.
> >>'cat /boot/config-<kerel version> |grep DMA'
> >>- --
> >>Greg Madden
>
> I did this and the only options that were set are
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> All the others are specified as "is not set"
> So it seems as if dma is allowed here.

Try also to grep for BLK_DEV.  I think, in your case, it would be
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

After listening to many White House, Pentagon & CENTCOM briefings
in both Gulf Wars, it is my firm belief that most "senior
correspondents" either have serious agendas that don't get shaken
by facts, or are dumb as dog feces.