Re: Pathetic Writer (or siagoffice)

<quote who="Wilko Fokken">

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:40:29PM +1100, Ken Caldwell wrote:
> >
> > I was looking for a small word processor and spreadsheet to be used on
> > some old computers (Pentium 75 with 32MB RAM and 520MB HDD) and tried to
> > use Pathetic Writer which is part of siagoffice but it seems to crash.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> Do you really need wordprocessing combined with a spreadsheet within one
> single program?
>
> If not, you may try 'slsc' as a not so bad spreadsheet in text mode;
> this may lead you to a better wordprocessor not overeating your system
> ressources - if not even to working with 'latex'.
Thanks Wilko I wil have a look at slsc.  Thanks also to Ron for
confirming the bug I guess I ought to file a bug report.

I found a workable selection of packages from sid which took up only 360MB of
disk space leaving 96MB for swap and 64MB for logging and the user's own files.

The selection included mozilla-firebird, sylpheed, abiword, gnumeric,
sodipodi and xpaint. Icewm provides a lightweight window manager.  The
output of dpkg --get-selections is attached.  I tried to create a
similar installation on another computer but the installation took up
425MB.  I don't have the original box here to find out where the
difference is.

cheers,

Ken