Re: Debian MSN clients can't connect

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Pigeon wrote:

> Having installed Debian on a mate's PC, his kids are complaining
> because they can't get onto MSN Messenger...
>
> The kids have given me a username eg. 'user.name@hotmail.com' and a
> password to go with it (an English word). I've tried these in gaim,
> kmerlin and everybuddy; none of them can connect and it doesn't look
> like it's because they've given me an invalid username/password. gaim
> (v0.58) is the least informative; when I try to connect, it responds
> very quickly with a dialog saying
>
>   user.name@hotmail.com has been signed off: Disconnected.

<snip>
> Anybody got any ideas what's going on here / what to check?
>
> Also, anyone know how you obtain the username and password which these
> clients require to connect? I'm not 100% sure about the one the kids
> have given me; it does seem to be valid for logging in to hotmail but
> does that automatically make it valid for an MSN Messenger client?
>
> (I'm somewhat hampered by the fact that I hardly know what MSN
> Messenger *is* apart from being something I find totally
> uninteresting! :-) so have never bothered to try and get a Linux
> client going for it myself... no experience whatsoever!)
>
> --
> Pigeon
Coo,Coo Pigeon,
aim,msn mess., yahoo, are all 'chat' programs. kinda like irc which has
fallen out of favor with a certain demographic.  Many linux clients can
support talking accross chat client protocols like gaim and everybuddy. I
recall MSN saying 'due to security' they were considering only allowing
'real' MSN clients use MSN. Dont know it this is it, as I dont use it.
-Kev