Re: PDFs on the fly with PHP

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:07:59PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Emma Jane Hogbin writes:
> > The problem is that I want to release GPL, but PDFLib requires a fee for
> > commercial applications.
>
> Then it isn't Open Source.  Please post a link to the license.

D'uh. That's why I'm asking for *alternatives* to PDFLib.

Here's the original post...
I'm working on a PHP web site that needs to generate PDFs on the fly. I
don't want to use PDFlib as [my] code is totally open source and I don't
want people to have to deal with the licensing on PDFLib.

I've found a few other products (via php.net), and I'm wondering if anyone
has any experience with them. I need to know about font support. The
client needs to be able to upload fonts to the server (through a web form)
and then be able to create PDFs without having to muck about with the
server itself. The PDFs need to be print-ready (i.e. for a print shop), so
I'm assuming they'll want to upload some kind of post script font. At
first I thought it was only previewing the data, so I was going to do
images (gifs/jpgs) instead of PDFs, but the print shop needs to be able to
download print-ready PDFs.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin