Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 23:19 GMT, Bill Moseley penned:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:34:25AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> I'm going to attempt to make this a polite question, rather than a
>> rant or flame ...
>>
>> For those of you who CC people when responding to the mailing list,
>> why do you do this?  Is there some benefit to doing so of which I'm
>> unaware?
>
> I cc, but luckily my mailer mutt understands what you want.  That's
> good because I can't keep track of what the hundreds (thousands?) of
> people on this list wish, and not all of them have smart mailers to
> set the Mail-Followup-To header.

I wonder if there's a list out there of mailers that respect that
header.  It's too bad that not everyone follows it, but as I understand
it, it's not actually part of any formal email spec ...?

> Personally, I like the cc.  If I ask a question and someone takes the
> time to respond I like to get that message right away (yes, sometimes
> there's a delay in debian-user).  And when I reply to someone I assume
> they want a response quickly, so I cc.

I can certainly see where you're coming from.

> Is it the cc you don't like or the duplicate mail?  I like the cc's
> but I hate the duplicates.  And (also luckily) I run Debian and with a
> simple additions to my .procmailrc I no longer have the duplicates:

Well, as I mentioned in another post, I actually read the list through
gmane, so detecting duplicates would be a hair trickier.  Probably
doable, but requiring more than a moment's worth of thought.  Of course,
I do understand that this is a mailing list, not a newsgroup, and so if
I insist on doing things in a non-standard way, I'm inherently making my
own life difficult.  Call me a masochist =)

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.