Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

Monique Y. Herman said on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:41:56PM -0700:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 22:03 GMT, Mark Ferlatte penned:
> [snip]
> >
> > Most of the people who have this problem, I believe, have the
> > technical abi= lity to setup such a filter, and for reasons that I
> > don't understand choose not = to do so and instead depend upon the
> > charity of the mailing list posters to ca= ter to their reply whims.
> > This, to me, seems silly, but as I said, there's obviously something
> > there that I'm not understanding.
> >
> > If you use procmail, the duplicate check filter can be found in the
> > procmail-lib Debian package, or I can mail a copy to you offlist.
> > Similar filters can be written in other filtering languages also, I'm
> > sure.

Whoa.  Where did all of those `=' chars come from?

> Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose that I could write a
> procmail or tmda rule to simply route anything that appears to have
> headers containing both the debian list and my email to a separate
> folder or /dev/null.  So maybe I'll give that a shot when I get some
> free time =)

That could work.  Kind of icky, though.  If you were pulling debian-user
automatically to your account (via leafnode or somesuch), maybe you could get
the message-ids from the newsspool, and filter dups using that... but I don't
use gmane, so I have no idea if that would actually work.