Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

Monique Y. Herman said on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:34:25AM -0700:
> I'm going to attempt to make this a polite question, rather than a rant
> or flame ...

Huzzah!  Polite questions are gold.

> For those of you who CC people when responding to the mailing list, why
> do you do this?  Is there some benefit to doing so of which I'm unaware?

No.  However, most mail clients are broken, and don't honor the various headers
to do the right thing automatically.  And, since most people are lazy, they
just hit reply-all, which usually turns into mailing-list + address of person
who sent the message they are replying to.

> I put a comment in my sig requesting that I not receive CCs, and I swear
> that the number of CCs I received actually increased!
>
> What can I do that will convince habitual CCers not to CC me?  Are there
> technical means beyond the Mail-Followup-To header?

Well, it depends.  For example, I have a procmail rule that filters duplicate
messages.  If you send a message to the list and Cc: me, I will only get one
message in my mailbox.  Therefor, I don't care, at all, if you Cc: me or not.
In fact, I was honestly confused by people saying that this was a problem (I've
had the dups filter installed for years, long before I got into Debian).

Most of the people who have this problem, I believe, have the technical ability
to setup such a filter, and for reasons that I don't understand choose not to
do so and instead depend upon the charity of the mailing list posters to cater
to their reply whims.  This, to me, seems silly, but as I said, there's
obviously something there that I'm not understanding.

If you use procmail, the duplicate check filter can be found in the
procmail-lib Debian package, or I can mail a copy to you offlist.  Similar
filters can be written in other filtering languages also, I'm sure.