RE: netiquette: CCing on lists

> I'm going to attempt to make this a polite question, rather
> than a rant or flame ...
>
> For those of you who CC people when responding to the mailing
> list, why do you do this?  Is there some benefit to doing so
> of which I'm unaware?
>
> I believe I have the Mail-Followup-To header set on my
> outgoing messages, which should be a clue for some readers.
> (I was told that gmane would translate Mail-Copies-To to
> Mail-Followup-To automagically.) I put a comment in my sig
> requesting that I not receive CCs, and I swear that the
> number of CCs I received actually increased!
>
> What can I do that will convince habitual CCers not to CC me?
>  Are there technical means beyond the Mail-Followup-To header?
>
> --

I expect it is a combination of mail readers and peoples habits.

If I click 'reply' in Outlook 2002, it will have your email addy, if I click
'reply to all' it will have the debian-user addy too.

I am on other lists, and 'reply' will use the list address for them.
Those messages have, among others, the following headers set to the posting
address for that list.

I do not know which makes outlook work, but for debian-users I would have to
'reply-all' and delete the senders addy.  I do not always remember to.

matt