Re: X Windos System will not start

Current Subject getting a working /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (Kent West Oct
26,2003)

I have run apt-get remove --purge on kdm & snort (to hopefully get rid of
the eth0 problem.  Success).  Now the only thing that shows up when
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 is the video card. Which I set to nVIDIA
MX-440 (this may not be correct.  Maybe it should be GeForce4 MX440.).
Stephen Cormier sent me a copy of his XF86Config-4 file which gave me a lot
more confidence.

The following is a list of differences between My Original XF86Config-4,
Stephen's XF86Config-4, and my New XF86Config-4 (after running
dpkg-reconfigure).  Only differences are listed!

Original                                                        Stephens
New
Not present
FontPath"/usr/X11/fonts/CID"                    Not Present
FontPath"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled  Not Pesent
Same as Original
FontPath"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled    Not Present
Same as Original
Section Module
Load "pex5"                                                   Not Present
Same as Original
Load "xie"                                                       Not Present
Sane as Original
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Kdyboard"
Option "XkbModel"    "pc104"                       Option "XkbModel"
"pc101"                 Same as Original
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"                            Option "Protocol"
"ImPS/2"                        Same as Original
Section "Device"
Identifier  "Generic Video Card"                       Identifier "GeForce4
MX440 SE"              Identifier "nVIDIA MX-440"
Driver "vesa"                                                    Driver "nv"
        Same as Original
Option "UseFBdev"    "true"                              Not Present
Not Present
Not Present                                                       Not
Present                                              Video RAM "64000"
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"                              Identifier
"API:3645"                                   Same as Original
HorizSync 30-96                                             HorzSync 28-50
Same as Original
VertRefresh 50-160                                         VertRefresh 43-75
Same as Original
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"                           Device "GeForce4 MX440
SE"                    Device "hVIDIA
Monitor "Generic Monitor"                               Monitor "API:3645"
Same ar Original
SubSection "Display"  (Depth 1 thru 24 are identical except for Depth #)
Depth 1
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
Same as Original
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"                    "640x480"
### END DEBCONF SECTION

I believe the only problem with the differences is my identification of the
video card I likely should change it to GeForce4 MX440(I cannot verify the
SE and since I dont know anything about this perhaps I should leave it off..
If Stephen can comment I would appreciate his comments on this and the
entire problem. Of course if anyone else has some insight their comments
would be welcome also.
Regards;
Hoyt