Re: DevFS mounting problems (was: Re: Think I need ttyN where N>8)

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 17:22, Chris Niekel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:21:50AM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > Reading
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/dev_files.html
> > (which is basically the howto I'm following) I get the impression
> > that mount should know about it if devfs is used. It says that
> > mount | grep devfs
> > should report something, but for me it doesn't. Which is weird.
> > It does seem like devfs is not mounted.
>
> Maybe it's mounted on boot, and init somehow unmounts it? The
> definite answer to see what is mounted is to cat /proc/mounts. No
> devfs there?

Yes, it's there! :-)

kjetil@owl:~> grep devfs /proc/mounts
none /dev devfs rw 0 0

> If devfs is in /proc/filesystems,

Yes, it is there too.

>you can perhaps add an entry in
> /etc/fstab. (See your /proc entry for an example). If that still
> doesn't help, you can try more advanced things, such as booting with
> the additional parameter "init=/bin/sh". That will skip all of the
> normal initialization, and just give you a prompt after the kernel is
> ready. Your rootfilesystem will be read-only, and you'll have to
> mount /proc to see what's mounted. mount -n /proc should do that
> trick. If devfs is mounted at that point, the next step is to find
> out why or how it's unmounted.

OK. By going through /etc/rc2.d/ and run the scripts manually?

> > I haven't put anything about devfs in my /etc/fstab, should I?
>
> You could try it. Won't hurt much since it's not working now. :)

Hehe, ok! :-)

But apparently, it _is_ mounted, now... At least some parts of the
system thinks it is...

BTW, I posted a message to the devfs mailing list too, but I don't know
if it is alive, their archives are 404.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--