Re: Mailboxes, etc.

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 00:19, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:53:08AM -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 01:36, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > > maildir.  Much better performance, more flexible, you can access
> > > messages as individual files, and more robust.  Plus 'From' doesn't need
> > > to be escaped at start of line.
> >
> > Why better performance?  If there's lots of messages, directory
> > manipulation becomes very slow (at least on IDE drive).
>
> Directory insertion/deletion (Maildir) vs. file insertion/deletion
> (mbox).
>
> Mailder is far more robust (djb gets _some_ things right).  And deals
> with simultaneous access and multiple updates (say, d-u, where I
> typically get new mail every few minutes) far better than mbox.
>
> I try to keep my mailboxes <1k messages, though with Maildir I've had
> 20k+ messages with few problems.

While we're on the topic:

I'm thinking of building an IMAP server out of a Via EPIA 5000 mobo
(533MHz Eden CPU http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p2),
512MB RAM & 40GB HDD.

Will this have the "oomph" to open large mail directories, etc,
in a timely fashion?  Only 2 people will be using it, but I get
~3600 spams per day.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy
discordant images at such speed as to render linear thought
impossible"
Calvin, regarding TV