Re: want to install testing distribution on Intel system using network install CD

Hi James,

* James Oldham <jo_techwriter@earthlink.net> [031028 09:46]:
> I am new to Debian and a relative novice with Linux. I want to
> install the testing distribution on an IBM Pentium II (model
> 6285-66U, 384 ram, plenty of disk space, 4MB S3 on the motherboard).

Welcome. Tip number 1- wrap your lines at about 72 characters.

> How I use my current network install CD (which defaults to stable) to
> install the testing distribution? I've tried editing the sources
> list, changing "stable" to "testing" on each line, but my success has
> been only partial.

I think you need to be more specific. What did you do after editing
you /etc/apt/sources.list? I guess you need to do the following.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

> The main purpose for this machine will be a file server (including
> Samba) inside my firewall, but I would like to be able to use the
> computer as a workstation occasionally.
>
> I've successfully installed the stable distribution over the
> internet, but I haven't figured out how to get the X server working.
> I understand that the testing distribution includes newer versions of
> XFree86 that support the S3 chipset I have. When I run startx on my
> stable install, the error message says that the file doesn't exist,
> but I have been able to run through the configuration program and
> view output file.

Run tasksel and select "X window system".

HTH,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux