Re: inetd not being run at startup

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 at 15:44 GMT, Ric Otte penned:
> I recently lost my hard drive, and after restoring, fetchmail does not
> work.  I get the smtp failed for localhost message, and discovered
> that exim is not running (I can't telnet to localhost 25).  Things
> work fine if I start exim manually (/usr/sbin/exim -bd), or if I do
> "/etc/init.d/inetd restart" or if I do "/usr/sbin/inetd".  So it looks
> to me as if inetd is not being run at startup.  The relevant line in
> my /etc/inetd.conf is: smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail
> /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs Does anyone have any idea why inetd would not
> be run at startup?  Thanks very much,
>
> Ric

Looks like your links to /etc/init.d/inetd from rc?.d are borked.  Do
you have any files that look like
	S20inetd
in any of your /etc/rc?.d directories?  (The number may be different)

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please