want to install testing distribution on Intel system using network install CD

I am new to Debian and a relative novice with Linux. I want to install the testing distribution on an IBM Pentium II (model 6285-66U, 384 ram, plenty of disk
space, 4MB S3 on the motherboard).

How I use my current network install CD (which defaults to stable) to install the testing distribution? I've tried editing the sources list, changing
"stable" to "testing" on each line, but my success has been only partial.

The main purpose for this machine will be a file server (including Samba) inside my firewall, but I would like to be able to use the computer as a workstation
occasionally.

I've successfully installed the stable distribution over the internet, but I haven't figured out how to get the X server working. I understand that the
testing distribution includes newer versions of XFree86 that support the S3 chipset I have. When I run startx on my stable install, the error message says
that the file doesn't exist, but I have been able to run through the configuration program and view output file.