Re: Mailboxes, etc.

on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:59:27PM -0400, Aaron (aaron@core-dev.com) wrote:
> No relation to the P.O. box chain :p
>
> I wonder what most people use to organize their local mail these days? I
> don't run a full-on MTA, I rely on fetchmail and procmail for the
> delivery of my messages, and they are stored (by default) in mbox
> format.
>
> Are there any comparative guides out there? What are the benefits of
> procmail/postfix/qmail/sendmail/fetchmail/etc.? The issue of mail in
> Linux is very complicated. What is the most efficient format for storing
> local mail? mbox, Maildir, postfix+mySQL, printed in hex to a
> lineprinter, read by Festival into an auto-loading cassette deck?
>
> I'm finding mbox to be very SLOW with many messages (understandably),
> but the process of switching to Maildir is complex enough that I want to
> be sure I'm making the right choice.

maildir.  Much better performance, more flexible, you can access
messages as individual files, and more robust.  Plus 'From' doesn't need
to be escaped at start of line.

Conversion:  Use mutt.  Set default mailbox type to maildir.  Move your
old mailbox directory from, say, "Mail" to "Mail-old".  Tag all messages
in a mailbox and move 'em to the new mailbox -- it'll be created
automatically.

Probably automatable, but this works for the single-user case.

Peace.

    STATE OF THE ART Expensive, loud and fragile. Occasionally functions for
    brief periods. In computer hardware terms, the "art" may be pottery
    - l'Inq                                       http://www.theinquirer.net/