"connection closed by foreign host" can't telnet or pop a foreign server

I can reach it on the web.  It can be reached by telnet and pop from another machine (an ibook).  My firewall (guarddog) allows telnet.  Other servers can be telneted into and popped.  The server I can't reach is a polaris.

I'm new to dsl and have a new box and I'm rather ignorant of Debian and tcp/ip stuff.  I've fiddled with hosts-allow and host-deny to no avail.

Any suggestions?