Re: why is debian the only distribution that won't let me run X?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:23:45PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Moin Wilko!
> Wilko Fokken schrieb am Sunday, den 26. October 2003:

> Ehm, you realize that your case is somehow constructed? ET4000 is about
> 10 years old, it is at least 3-4 mainstream generations far away from
> the current mainstream cards. Further, you don't need X on a mail
> gateway.
> What is "SVGA-compatible" from driver's point of view? If your card is
> not supported by any of the SVGATextMode drivers, the only choice you
> have is VESA framebuffer. Which, again, requires a VESA2.0 compliant
> video card and I not sure whether ET4000 was a such one.
>
> MfG,
> Eduard.

Mooi'n dag ok, Eduard,

thanks for your hints, but (not to feed on any cheese of honour) my card
really is an ET4000_W32 and it works pretty sharp in "1024x768" mode; my
text mode "100x37x9_SVGA" works brilliant. (Perfect for 'mutt' with
"syntax on" in '/etc/vim/vimrc')

Of course, changing graphical contents is a bit slow, but I would't do
without my higher resolution text mode.

So I'd appreciate any information about identifying PCI-based graphic
cards being either SVGA-compatible or VESA2.0 compliant.

(hope not being too badly OT)