Re: X Windom System will not start

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 21:07
Subject: Re: X Windom System will not start

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>

> >Last First  /etc/fstab

This refers to your last post on this thread.  The ext3 comment is near the
end.
This just proves that ext3 is enabled on the only partition that matters.

0
> >0
> >Additional proc entrys.
> >

> I don't understand the line "Last First  /etc/fstab"
>
> >I dont know about that errors statement is the system saying <there are
> >errors> or <if there are errors>.
This refrences the above. The following is an attempt to run
dpkg-reconfigure.

> >Result of dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree8
> >Did not go well, I believe.  The card that showed up was eth0 and the
next
> >panel wanted options for it.  Since I did not have any idea what I should
> >put in I exited the program now I cant get back to that spot the first
panel
> >says that if I want to do a manual configuration I will have to delete
the
> >file or move it.  If I delete the file will it be rebuilt or will I have
> >reinstall?  Either is no problem now.

End of comment on dpkg-reconfigure.
Following is from the above(a reference from).

> >Next XF86Config-4
> >Section "Device"
> >    Identifier    "Generic Video Card"
> >    Driver        "vesa"
> >    Option        "UseFBDev"                "true"
> >EndSection
> >

> The above two paragraphs seem to be talking about three different
problems:
>     1) I assume that the sentence "I don't know about that errors
> statement . . ." refers to /etc/fstab, and that you're asking about the
> significance of the "errors=remount-ro" bit. That means that when the
> system mounts the / ("root") partition, if any errors occur, the system
> is to remount the partition in read-only mode.

Ok answers the question.

>     2) X configuration issues
>     3) ethernet configuration issues ("eth0"). I'm unaware of any
> ethernet-related questions during a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
> session, so I'm confused about this.

Frankly so am I.  I expected that from your comment "You need to experiment
with your resolution, color depth, and/or video driver." that the video card
would show up with something about resolution, color, or etc.  I do not have
any idea why eth0 is even involved with video. The eth0 card should be about
network items since I dont have one it should be quite instead its in
promiscuous mode. One apparantly is attempting to run the video(not
working).

>I'm also confused about what file
> will have to be deleted or moved, or to what "spot" you're referring.

The file referd to is XF86-Config-4.  The spot is the panel in
dpkg-reconfigure where the eth0 card appears.

> >I know I selected vesa it was the only option that I had ever seen
> >before(Not a good reason). So I looked at the man page and decided that
> >probable that was the wrong choice.  I have downloaded the nVIDIA  nForce
> >Linux Driver in Tarball form.  I hope for better performance from it.  Is
> >there a Install Driver HOW-TO?
> >
> If we're still talking about X issues and not ext3 or eth0 issues (which
> should really go in separate threads), I would suggest trying the "do
> not use Framebuffer" option (by answering accordingly the question
> during "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" - although you could manually
> change /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and set "UseFBDev" to "false"). I assume

Huh. There isnt a UseFBDev in XF86Config-4.

> that since you downloaded the nVIDIA nForce driver, you have an nVIDIA
> nForce card? All I've ever had access to is cheaper more generic cards,

This is why I listed my system on the original post the card is nVIDIA
GeForce-4 MX-440.

> so I haven't had any experience with this card; perhaps others can help.
> Using the VESA or VGA setting should at least get you something going,
> however.

I agree but eth0 isnt going to do it.

> >I also have the Debian Doc Creating Custom Kernals,  but I'm not ready
for
> >that yet but I can see it coming.
> >
> Yes, hold off on that. Let it be another topic for another thread on
> another day.
>
> >Please make suggestions now! Monday may be rough.
> >Hoyt

I hope this answers your questions.  I believe that this all relates to the
same problem X Window System will not start.  I might add the following
which dosent show up in the log, but is on the screen just before the login
prompt:
<huge snip>
Starting GNOME Display manager: gdm
Not starting K Desktop manager (kdm); It is not the default display manager.
Not starting X Desktop manager (xdm);  It is not the default display
manager.
sic.
I dont know what it all means but I'm betting on the video card.  Or I
suppose the motherboard could be involved.
Regards;
Hoyt