unstable cups problem

I've just done an update on a system that was originally a Knoppix 2.1
install, and is now mainly unstable (I suppose).

Since the update, cups doesn't actually print anything.  The jobs appear in
the print manager (under KDE) as "Processing..." and stay there permanently.
As cups does not allow ordinary users to cancel jobs, I have to log out, log
on as root and start a root KDE session - which I hate to do at all - in
order to open print manager and kill the waiting jobs.  Even the test print
does the same.  Printer is a Xerox Docuprint4512, fwiw, and did work
previously (the driver selected was called "Docuprint 4508 Foomatic/ljet4" -
the nearest available).

Where do I look for a lead?

TIA

--