Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:08:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
   > On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 19:57, Haines Brown wrote:
   > >
   > > 3. My usual practice is to avoid xdm and boot to a text login
   > >    prompt. To do this, in rc2.d I belive I edited the symlink to the
   > >    xdm program, renaming "S99xdm ->..." to "K99xdm ->...". But in
   > >    debian I get a beep when I try. Am I imagining I once edited the
   > >    name of a symlink? Can't one do it in debian?
   >
   > That's almost exactly what I did:
   > # cd /etc/rc2.d
   > # mv S99xdm __S99xdm
   >
   > You get a beep when you try to rename the file?  If so, are you
   > sure the file /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm exists?
   >
   > Of course, you could always deinstall xdm :
   > # apt-get --purge remove xdm

If one installs (x/g/k)dm and does use intend to use it, removing it is
the best option. But, if your server is not properly configured and you
intend to try something else, booting into (x/g/k)dm should be
temporarily disabled.

I generally do not manually create/remove symlinks in rd?.d. I just do a

   update-rc.d -f xdm remove

will do all the work for you.

HTH,

--
Sridhar M.A.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.