Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Haines Brown wrote:

> In moving from RedHat to debian, I'm left with some simple little
> basic configuration questions. They all relate to a situation in which
> I operate at this point from console.
>
> 1. Where do I set the global bash prompt format? I changed PS1= in
>    /etc/profile, but that only affects user, not root.
>
> 2. I had placed the command "setterm -blank 0" in RedHat's
>    /etc/rc.d/rc.local to block screen blanking while running in
>    console. Debian does not use that file. What is its equivalent?
>
> 3. My usual practice is to avoid xdm and boot to a text login
>    prompt. To do this, in rc2.d I belive I edited the symlink to the
>    xdm program, renaming "S99xdm ->..." to "K99xdm ->...". But in
>    debian I get a beep when I try. Am I imagining I once edited the
>    name of a symlink? Can't one do it in debian?
<snip>
Hi H,
one of the 'freedoms' of debian is that runlevel 2 to 5 are the same. 2 is
the default runlevel. RH and others have seperate runlevels. Its something
that confused me and there are some people out there like me who like the
RH runlevel scheme but havent changed prevailing minds. Oh well!
-Kev