Re: X Windom System will not start

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

Last First  /etc/fstab
/dev/hda3    /            ext3    errors=remount-ro                    0
1
/dev/hda5    none    swap    sw                                            0
0
Additional proc entrys.
I don't understand the line "Last First  /etc/fstab"

I dont know about that errors statement is the system saying <there are
errors> or <if there are errors>.
Result of dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree8
Did not go well, I believe.  The card that showed up was eth0 and the next
panel wanted options for it.  Since I did not have any idea what I should
put in I exited the program now I cant get back to that spot the first panel
says that if I want to do a manual configuration I will have to delete the
file or move it.  If I delete the file will it be rebuilt or will I have to
reinstall?  Either is no problem now.

Next XF86Config-4
Section "Device"
   Identifier    "Generic Video Card"
   Driver        "vesa"
   Option        "UseFBDev"                "true"
EndSection

The above two paragraphs seem to be talking about three different problems:
1) I assume that the sentence "I don't know about that errors statement . . ." refers to /etc/fstab, and that you're asking about the significance of the "errors=remount-ro" bit. That means that when the system mounts the / ("root") partition, if any errors occur, the system is to remount the partition in read-only mode.
   2) X configuration issues
3) ethernet configuration issues ("eth0"). I'm unaware of any ethernet-related questions during a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" session, so I'm confused about this. I'm also confused about what file will have to be deleted or moved, or to what "spot" you're referring.

I know I selected vesa it was the only option that I had ever seen
before(Not a good reason). So I looked at the man page and decided that
probable that was the wrong choice.  I have downloaded the nVIDIA  nForce
Linux Driver in Tarball form.  I hope for better performance from it.  Is
there a Install Driver HOW-TO?

If we're still talking about X issues and not ext3 or eth0 issues (which should really go in separate threads), I would suggest trying the "do not use Framebuffer" option (by answering accordingly the question during "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" - although you could manually change /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and set "UseFBDev" to "false"). I assume that since you downloaded the nVIDIA nForce driver, you have an nVIDIA nForce card? All I've ever had access to is cheaper more generic cards, so I haven't had any experience with this card; perhaps others can help. Using the VESA or VGA setting should at least get you something going, however.

I also have the Debian Doc Creating Custom Kernals,  but I'm not ready for
that yet but I can see it coming.

Yes, hold off on that. Let it be another topic for another thread on another day.

Please make suggestions now! Monday may be rough.
Hoyt