Re: Simple little basic config questions

Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:
> In moving from RedHat to debian, I'm left with some simple little
> basic configuration questions. They all relate to a situation in which
> I operate at this point from console.
>
> 1. Where do I set the global bash prompt format? I changed PS1= in
>    /etc/profile, but that only affects user, not root.
.bash_profile or .bashrc in users home dir.
(Below on 1 line)
.bash_profile:export PS1="\[`setterm -foreground
cyan`\]VT${V_TERM##/dev/tty} \u-Buddy:\w\\$\[`setterm -default`\] "

> 2. I had placed the command "setterm -blank 0" in RedHat's
>    /etc/rc.d/rc.local to block screen blanking while running in
>    console. Debian does not use that file. What is its equivalent?

Same place as #1
> 3. My usual practice is to avoid xdm and boot to a text login
>    prompt. To do this, in rc2.d I belive I edited the symlink to the
>    xdm program, renaming "S99xdm ->..." to "K99xdm ->...". But in
>    debian I get a beep when I try. Am I imagining I once edited the
>    name of a symlink? Can't one do it in debian?

I also boot to text login.  I never installed xdm or any other display
manager so it boots into text.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne
--
Linux - for those that deserve the Very Best!