Re: Problem Maintaining Subscription

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:28:57AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Twice in the past few weeks my subscription to  the debian-user list has
> been unsubscribed though I never sent or wanted to send an unsubscribe
> message.
>
> The problem may relate to the deluge of MS mail bombs.  Originally my
> subscription was to my second mailbox which was georgeacct.  When the
> deluge of MS mail bombs started and my debian-user subscription was
> dropped I contacted my IPS and asked that georgeacct be closed and a new
> mailbox xyz be opened (not very imaginative but I was in a hurry).  I
> then subscribed to the debian-user list from the new mailbox.  This did
> not stop the deluge of MS mail bombs so I installed mailfilter, got a
> good mailfilterrc for MS mail bombs from a posting by Pigeon on the
> debian-user list and started using it to filter my mailboxes.  This
> works beautifully but again my subscription to the debian-user list has
> been dropped.
>
> I will resubscribe for the xyz mailbox this morning.  If you know of any
> other preventative measures I should taked, please let me know.

It could be that your mailbox is going over quota in between
swen-deletions, and the resulting bounces are causing you to be
automatically unsubscribed from the list. There doesn't unfortunately
seem to be any reasonabe solution apart from running mailfilter at
more frequent intervals.

I tried emailing my ISP suggesting they block the "star offender"
viruses like swen and sobig at SMTP time, pointing out that this might
also help stop the complaints they've been getting lately about their
POP3 server being slow, but they didn't bother to answer... bit
surprising actually, as their technical department seems to be less
mickey-mouse than most of the mickey-mouse M$-fixated metered dialup
ISPs in the UK.

They use exim 4.10... anyone got an exim.conf rule for 4.10 to block
swen at SMTP time, so I can send them a prepackaged solution - "Read
this line, you can see it's not malignant, stick it in your exim.conf
and make lots of people very happy" - so they have no excuse? :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons