Re: ldconfig and hosing my system

Am Fre, 2003-10-24 um 17.24 schrieb Bill Benedetto:
> Ok.  Let me preface this by saying I'm not normally mentally
> challenged.  People often bring me computer problems and they
> leave with their problem solved and their computer still running.
>
> System:
>   New Dell Poweredge running Woody.
>   Installed with bf24 and using ext3 for /.
>   Installed and running for about 4-6 weeks.
>
> Problem:
>  I ran "ldconfig" when I had an LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable set to
>  point to old old libraries.  Once "ldconfig" finished, then no
>  commands would work.  Nothing.  No, I didn't write down the
>  messages that occurred when I tried any commands.  I believed
>  that I had inadvertently overwrote some key library.  After I
>  looked on another system and saw what ldconfig did, I was pretty
>  sure that I overwrote something.
>
>  Technically I couldn't "reboot" because no commands were
>  working!  A power-cycle worked up until the kernel started and
>  the kernel paniced.  No, I didn't write down the specific
>  message that was spat out.  If it is pertinent, I could get it.
>  So I couldn't just reboot and hope for the best.
>
>  At this point I *BELIEVE* that I hosed /etc/ld.so.cache .  (I
>  could certainly be wrong, of course.)  But since I can't bring
>  the system up I don't know how to recreate /etc/ld.so.cache .
>
>  My mistake was not finding out what ldconfig did before I ran
>  it.  So I guess I'm getting what I deserved.  Regardless, I'm
>  hoping that someone else has done this before and can offer a
>  solution.

[...]

>  I tried booting knoppix and using the /etc/ld.so.cache there but
>  the kernel still paniced upon reboot.  I don't know if the
>  kernel paniced the same way or not.

Boot up Knoppix, mount your old root partition and chroot into it.
Then just run ldconfig again (it's a static binary, so it should work).

HTH and good luck
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice