I broke gnome2 *snff*

Hello debian-users

In a foolish endeavour to get gnome 2.4 on my testing machine
(previously had 2.2 pulled from unstable) I downloaded a stack of debs
an installed them.

Sadly now gnome-session gets as far as its splash screen before
hanging and I have to ctrl+alt+backspace my way out of trouble.

also I can't run galeon, nautilus, epiphany, gnome-panel even from
enlightenment.

I'm really struggle to find any sort of useful error output to try and
diagnose what might be wrong.

My best guess is sometihng to do with Bonobo, but that's where I run
out of ideas.

See various terminal output guff, that might help below:

Does anyone know how I can fix gnome2.4 :(

Thanks

dc

This is all I can come up with, but it doesn't help me much:

when I try to run nautilus --nodesktop from enlightenment, this spits
out on the terminal:

** (nautilus:21646): WARNING **: bad error code from
bonobo_activation_active_server_register

and a dialog informs me that "Nautilus can't be used now, due to an
unexpected error."

If I ask for details from this dialogue, I get:

"Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo
when attempting to register the file manager view server."

The only thing left running running after nautilus has exited is
gconfd-2.

gnome-terminal runs, but reports:

"Failed to retrieve terminal server from activation server"

to stderr

If I try to run galeon, I get this, but no galeon window:

** (galeon-bin:21682): CRITICAL **: file
../../src/galeon-automation.c: line 89 (galeon_automation_new):
assertion `factory != NULL' failed
An error occurred reading the startup configuration file.  Please
contact your administrator.

line 31: SyntaxError: unterminated string
literal. pref("font.directory.truetype.1",
"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueT
trying to load bookmarks from /home/dcpurton/.galeon/bookmarks.xbel
Detected version of bookmarks file: galeon2

** (galeon-bin:21682): WARNING **: Couldn't create the factory!

The processes left running are:

bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-server
galeon-bin

Lastly if I run gnome-session from withing enlightenment, I get this:

I get a splash screen but no icons light up indicating starting
things.
There is no useful output to the terminal.

The processes left running are:

bonobo-activation-server
gnome-settings-daemon
fam

Any help appreciated.

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3