Re: Mailboxes, etc.

le Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:59:27 -0400, Aaron <aaron@core-dev.com> s'exprima
en ces termes:

> No relation to the P.O. box chain :p
>
> I wonder what most people use to organize their local mail these days?
> I don't run a full-on MTA, I rely on fetchmail and procmail for the
> delivery of my messages, and they are stored (by default) in mbox
> format.
>
> Are there any comparative guides out there? What are the benefits of
> procmail/postfix/qmail/sendmail/fetchmail/etc.?

Wait, procmail/postfix/qmail/sendmail/fetchmail can't be compared:
- fetchmail gets mails from POP/IMAP servers, delivering it to your
(local) MTA
- postfix/qmail/sendmail are MTA: they dispatch mails to local users, or
on Internet.
- procmail sorts incoming mail for a local user to put it where the user
wants.

> The issue of mail in Linux is very complicated. What is the most
> efficient format for storing local mail? mbox, Maildir, postfix+mySQL,
> printed in hex to a lineprinter, read by Festival into an auto-loading
> cassette deck?

>From my point of view, MH if far more efficient: you can add
indexes to your MHs to speed up searches, purge MHs from
olders mails, ... without using a MUA. Mbox is useful to take mails from
a machine to another, and, well, festival is very useful if you are
blinded ;)

> I'm finding mbox to be very SLOW with many messages (understandably),
> but the process of switching to Maildir is complex enough that I want
> to be sure I'm making the right choice.

You can find a tool here: http://www.gerg.ca/hacks/mb2md for
mbox->maildir, and at Sylpheed's homepage:
http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/tools/sylpheed-convert_mbox.tar.gz
for mbox->MH and
http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/tools/sylpheed-maildir2sylpheed.tar.gz
for maildir->MH. I heard KMail provided also a scipt to convert from
maild to mbox. As you can see, that's easy. Want I went from Evolution
to Sylpheed, I used some of this scripts over 10000+ messages without
losing one !

/N
Nicolas Rueff <n.rueff@tuxfamily.org>
http://rueff.tuxfamily.org