Re: Searching for an editor...

Scott C. Linnenbringer <sl@panix.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:33:39 -0400, Peter S Galbraith
>
> > True enough.  But Emacs is _one_ application.  You'd think they could
> > do better in terms of frequency of release.
>
> Yeah, but it's a text editor.
>
> EMACS has been being developed for over 20 years or something. It's
> really evident that they've done everything they can do, especially now
> since EMACS is hardly even considered a text editor anymore, but a true
> operating system (as a joke of course.)

Nah, there's more ahead.

> Text editors aren't really on the cutting edge of development. This
> became true when it became possible to read net.news and mail, along
> with chat on IRC and talk to eliza, the computerized psychotherapist,
> using EMACS.

There's always more.  Today I started an image viewer that works in
Emacs (view images from dired).

> I'd say the emacs guys have run out of things to implement. If I were
> them, I'd concentrate on GNU/Hurd, the final and most significant piece
> of the GNU puzzle. ;)

If that were true, they could more easily do more frequent releases. :-)

And as in all open source projects, it's not necessarily the same people
working on Emacs than on the Hurd.  You can't tell Emacs developers to
stop and work on something else instead.

Peter