From: spamassassin-talk-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:spamassassin-talk-admin@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
Thomas H. George
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 07:45
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: [SAtalk] Re: problem setting up spamassassin

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 05:22:17PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I've been following the discussion of spam flood, and decided to try
> using spamassassin. I'm running a plain vanilla Sarge, with dialup. I
> use fetchmail, exim, procmail, mutt.  After apt-get install fetchmail
> I look at README.Debian for instructions on what to do next. I see
> "Please read the README for instructions on setting up your
.procmailrc file."
> I open up README.gz and search for procmail. The search fails. I read
> README.gz and see that I need to look at the INSTALL file for how to
> install spamassassin, but there is no INSTALL file.
>
> My question is: Having done apt-get install spamassassin, what do I
> do next? Surely I need to read something and do some configuration,
> but where are the directions? Where do I go next _within the Debian
> environment_?
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@peakpeak.com

I have exactly this same problem with an additional difficulty.  My ISP
allows two mailboxes.  One I use for correspondance and access it with
the postings with fetchmail and view them with mutt.  When the ms mail
bomb spam reached 70 per day I used apt-get to install spamassassin on
my box (testing, 2.4.20 kernel) and found old correspondance which I had
been saving has been deleted - not moved to trash - while there has been
no effect on my mailing list mailbox.  I started through the README's as
above but have not been able to resolve the problems.

I plan to go to the spamassassin mailing list next but, seeing this
message, I have added my experience.

Tom George