Installation problems on a Dell Optiplex GXa

I installed 3.0R1 on an old Dell Optiplex Gxa machine.
Since it has a P2-333mHz processor and 196Mb of ram I thought it would be
fine for a Wolfenstein ET server.

I've ran into 2 problems...

X won't start...

Tried to config it, looks okay to me. Upon boot I get a popup box that
states:

"I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that
it is not set
up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the
problem?"

The diagnose screen is empty?

When I exit the diagnose screen, I get "Would you like me to try to run the
X configuration
program?" When I choose yes it's back to the first popup...

Modprobe: Modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

Don't have a clue what this is but could this be the reason X is not
working?

Bye,

Dennis