Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 07:43:40PM +0200, Osamu Aoki said
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 06:56:10PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:09:56PM +0200, Osamu Aoki said
> > > Since it is a small topic, if you wish, I will be grad to make it a part
> > > of "Debian Reference".  Rewite around:
> > >
> > >   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-xfs-tt
> > >
> > > I am not extensive on this subject.  (Tough part is write is generic
> > > enough so minor version up in X will not change description.)
> >
> > I don't think this will be too much of a problem.  There don't seem to
> > be any changes with regard to font configuration for X itself within the
> > 4.0 series, there's just the addition of things like xft1 and
> > fontconfig.
>
> Good.
>
> By the way, x-ttcidfont-conf depends on defoma.  So all you need is
>   # apt-get install x-ttcidfont-conf

Ah, indeed.  I think I'll still mention defoma, though, since it's
useful to know what packages you're actually using.

> Also about nice set of free fonts
>   # apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera

I mentioned this in the original post.

> or
>   # apt-get install ttf-freefont

And added this later.

> Just FYI to support CJK and other fonts:
>
> tfm-arphic-bsmi00lp, tfm-arphic-bkai00mp, tfm-arphic-gbsn00lp,
> tfm-arphic-gkai00mp, hbf-jfs56, hbf-cns40-b5, hbf-kanji48,
> ttf-baekmuk
> ttf-thryomanes

Added, thanks.

> I do not exactly know how they fit together but I have them all and can
> see all sorts of characters :-)
>
> For Japanese fonts, there is sticky problem right now.
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200310/msg00142.html

Damn, that sucks.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:          bank ISEC tempest dictionary Mantis Arnett overthorw