Re: getting viruses/spam after posting to this list

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:30:10PM +1000, James Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:56:13AM +0100, Eliot Stock wrote:
> > After my first post to this list last night, I woke up this morning
> > to find 40 helpful "MS security updates" in my inbox.
> >
> > How are other people dealing with this? Does the list consider this
> > a problem, or is it just up to me to fight this at my server? If so
> > a pointer to any URLs that lay out all the options for server-side
> > spam and virus blocking would be helpful, maybe it's time I
> > installed something. Is obfuscating addresses on the list pointless
> > because harvesters aren't fooled? What's the score?
>
> I just registered tonight and I'm now getting 2-4 emails every 5
> minutes. This is absolutely ridicoulous :(
>
> What can we do besides spoof our email address ? Obviously it's
> already too late for me :(

Filter viciously. It's trivial to catch the Swen virus with procmail;
harder to catch all the anti-virus junk.

I've always used my real address on Debian mailing lists.

  :0
  * > 140000
  * < 165000
  {
    :0BD:
    * b3IAAABBZG1pbgAAAEdFVCBodHRwOi8vd3cyLmZjZS52dXRici5jei9iaW4vY291bnRlci5naWYv
    swen-virus
  }

(from Kevin Buhr)

Cheers,