Can't install kernel compiled on sid machine on a woody system

PLEASE CC ME, I'M NOT ON THIS LIST! Thanks!

I tried compiling a new 2.4.22 kernel for the old pentium machine that
does my routing services. Because this is done about 20 times as fast
on my laptop, of course I compiled it there. In fact, I made a .deb
with make-kpkg.

Now, when I try to install this package on the old machine (that is
running woody), I get lots of unresolved symbols in the modules and
dpkg complains and suggests to stop the install. What am I doing
wrong?

The router (on which I try to install the kernel) is all-woody with
security updates and the laptop (on which I compile the kernel) is
newest sid, with gcc 3.3 (same thing happens with gcc 3.2, however).