OpenOffice & Debian Sid - foreign characters

Hi list,

i installed OpenOffice 1.1 on my shiny new Debian Sid box ;-) and i have
a big problem: on any OpenOffice application I cannot type Portuguese
accentuated characters like "á è" etc although I can type in the Euro
symbol "€". I don't have this problem on anyother application only
OpenOffice and i was wondering if anyone has reported this issue before
and got it solved somehow.

Below are my /etc/environment and /etc/locale.gen files:

$ cat /etc/environment
### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
# Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be
preserved
# by debconf.  Instead, make changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF
SECTION
# FOR localeconf" line, and/or after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR
# localeconf" line.
LANG=pt_PT@euro
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.ISO-8859-15
### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf

$ cat /etc/locale.gen
### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
# Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be
preserved
# by debconf.  Instead, make changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF
SECTION
# FOR localeconf" line, and/or after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR
# localeconf" line.
en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
pt_PT@euro ISO-8859-15
### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf