Re: How to kill X?

cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> [07 Oct 2003 04:10 +1300]:

> Anyway, *now*, Ctrl-Alt-BS does indeed just kill X and leave me in Linux as
> it should.    However, whether it'll still work if X 'siezes' I'll only know
> if and when I have a sieze.

  Check out the magic sysreq key.  With its secure access key you can
kill all processes running on the current VT.  This will likely leave the
keyboard in raw mode (which is easy to fix with the magic sysreq key)
and the video modes borked (which is *possibly* fixable with mode3 or
restoretextmode.)  I have successfully used this method in the past when
X was unzappable and otherwise hung.

  Anyone know an easy way to force X 4.2 to to hang?

  Geordie.