Re: reverting to ext2 (Was: Re: How to kill X?)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 at 11:09 GMT, Tim Connors penned:

> Not a case of ext3 being crap, a case of ext3 with journalled *data*
> being crap. Quite a nice allrounder with the other two ext3 options
> set. And you get the same problems with all other fses when their
> equivalent of journalled *data* was turned on (if they had such a
> feature).

I read that but didn't understand it.  Is it that you can use ext3
without journalling?  Or is journalling data different from normal
journalling somehow?  I'm confused.

> The comment made earlier about bad sectors when power is turned off is
> a comments that can be made about any fs, not just ext3, and is a
> function of what drive you are using. It affects the IBM DTLA drives,
> because the motor slows down, but doesn't cut off the write head when
> power is cut, so the sector gets corrupted, and the drive is not smart
> enough to repair this upon power being reapplied, even if you try to
> write to that sector again without reading it first. Moral of that
> story: Stay away from IBM drives in general, given their incompetance
> in other matters (think, IBM DeathStar, etc).

I heard about the deathstars and told myself I'd check my model number
"eventually."  Then one day my OS started behaving *really* weirdly,
while at the same time the hard drive started making really ...
interesting noises.  It turned out to be a deathstar.  Fortunately, that
machine wasn't being used for anything terribly important, and the drive
was still under warranty (back when 3-year warranties were standard), so
it was only a minor annoyance.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please