Re: How to kill X?

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:49:26PM +1300, cr wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:49, Pigeon wrote:

> > > Are there any downsides to ext3?
> >
> > If you have a filesystem with a dirty journal you MUST try and replay
> > the journal, ie, fsck it, before doing anything else with it. If you
> > forget this you'll probably end up with worse damage than if you made
> > the same mistake with ext2. ext3 can be mounted as ext2 in emergency,
> > eg. if your rescue kernel hasn't got ext3 support, but don't be
> > tempted to mount it read-write.
>
> I think, with my capability for pushing the wrong button at critical
> moments, I might be safer to stick with ext2 then.

Well, I admit that I found out about this the hard way. But I think
that was when I was running slink; the woody versions of the tools all
seem to spit out warnings if you try and treat ext3 as ext2.

AIUI running fsck on ext2 will return the filesystem to a logically
consistent state but doesn't guarantee that you won't lose or corrupt
any files - as you've found out. ext3's journalling is a big safeguard
against this. It is unfortunate that power failures are one area where
this safeguard is noticeably incomplete.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons