Re: LI Hang, recovery??

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:22:05AM +0200, Christof Hurschler wrote:

> I'm getting the LI hang on boot.  I tried booting from my floppy, but it
> gives me a kernel panic...

with what message?

> I now read that I can boot from floppy with the "rescue root=/dev/hda1", but
> I'm assuming that this is the default mode the floppy boots in anyways, or
> is it?

is /dev/hda1 your / partition?

if it isn't, if it is /dev/hdb2 or something, then boot from the rescue floopy
so :

linux root=/dev/hdb2

> If I could get back in with the floppy, I'd try rerunning LILO to get things
> back in order, but I'm afraid I'm not going to get that far.  Any
> suggestions?  How can I tell if I've got a real hardware problem? Knoppix?

you can boot with the floppy even if you have hw(hdd) problems.
if you cannot boot with root= explicit given, then boot with the
installfloppy, wait until he wants to have rootfs disk, give it him,
and when the installscreen comes, alt+f2  and you have a shell.

HTH

charlie

--
Végh Károly -  System Engineer - UTA - TIS.SAS.BSS
Don't worry. Everything is getting nicely out of control.