Re: Sound Server + Grub vs lilo?

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:49:04AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> Hi, I get this message when logging into my account & in the root
> account also. "error while initializing the sounddriver /dev/dsp can't
> be opened (permission denied) The sound server will continue using the

Permission denied often means you need to add the user to group audio.

> null output device. From the kde menu clicking on information > sound
> brings up this message: "There was an error loading the module the
> diagnostics is:"
> No diagnostics are provided.
> PCI Info gives: 00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller:,
>                 VIA technologies, Inc. AC97 AudioController (rev50)
>                 Subsystem: VIA Technologies. Inc Unknown device 4511

What is you chipset and what sound modules are you loading?

>                 flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
>                 I/O ports at 9c00 (size=256)
>                 I/0 ports at a000 (size=4)
>                 I/O ports at a400 (size=4)
>
> Also although I have followed the grub help, man pages and advice here I
> still cannot get debian or slackware to boot from the grub floppy. I
> almost always get an "error 15 file or filesystem not found" I haven't
> installed grub to the MBR because I wanted to be sure I could boot
> everything from it and I can't. I can boot SuSE and windoze. Also
> entering grub from the command line and doing "root (" didn't get me
> disks/disk info. Would lilo be easier to set-up? Debian is on hdb5 a

Assuming the kernel you want to boot is "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.16-386" and
/boot is a separate partition, run

grub> find /vmlinuz-2.4.16-386

to determine the root device. If /boot is not a separate partition, try:

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.16-386

--
Jerome