Re: Partitions and format

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 19:40, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:

> It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall. Worst case - ackup your data and
> reformat the partition. I think it is even possible to upgrade a partition
> from ext2 to ext3, but I don't know in detail.

Yes, not only is it possible, but it is very easy and very safe to do so:

If you find /dev/hda1 is ext2 and you'd like to move to ext3, simply

$ tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

That will create the journal inodes... Then you can change your fstab entry to
'ext3' and enjoy the security and fast fsck-ing of ext3

Cheers,
Gavin