Re: Partitions and format

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:35:12AM +0100, Stuart Robinson wrote:
> > Question: I've forgotten what kind of format my linux partitions are (I
> > suspect I chose 'linux' (ext3?)- how can I tell and if I really would
> > prefer a journalling format can I change it without a reinstall?

Look in /etc/fstab - at least your root and swap partitions should have
entries. For those partitions that haven't, try e. g. mount -t ext2 ,
it will only work with the correct type.

It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall. Worst case - ackup your data and
reformat the partition. I think it is even possible to upgrade a partition
from ext2 to ext3, but I don't know in detail.

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller
Lehrer für Mathematik und Physik