Re: how to get gnome?

Hi,

schnobs@babylon-kino.de writes:

[...]
> Seems as if the task "desktop environment" only provided me with
> KDE. Installing Gnome was (and is) a problem I have to solve
> myself - I did so by selecting a few packes that have 'gnome' in
> their name, hoping that dependencies would solve the rest.
>
> After some woes, I found out that the dependecies did not
> include a window manager (could this justify a bug report?)
>
> The I added Sawfish, Gnome eventually started working but still
> looks very minimalistic. Seems as if I need a few more packages,
> but which? Could someone please provide me with a list of stuff
> I'd likely like to have?
>
> Or is there a task or meta-package or sumsuch that I simply
> didn't see?
[...]

Two metapackages exist:

gnome-core : contains the dependencies for the desktop (panel, file
manager, window manager ... )

gnome (only in unstable): Contains, in addition to that, gnome
applications (web browser, word processor, ...)

that said, gnome in sarge is in a pretty bad state, with a mixing of
gnome 1.4 and gnome 2, which will give you all kind of problems (if it
installs at all). You should install the gnome packages from unstable
(or use some backport, though these are thought for woody, check
www.apt-get.org).

Hope this helps,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.