Problems building nfs-utils-1.0.6

I'm trying to build the latest NFS utils from source on an older Progeny
machine. I need NFS V3, and I've compiled a kernel that supports thta, but
I need the approriate utils to make it work.

So, I downloaded the source tarball from the Sourceforge site and ran:

debian/rules binary

It churned away for a while, looking like it was going to build a .deb, and
then errored out with:

utmp entry ("stan") does not match value of LOGNAME ("root"); using "root"
at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 47.
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb
dpkg-deb: building package `nfs-kernel-server' in
`../nfs-kernel-server_1.0.6-1_i386.deb'.
dpkg-deb: conffile `/etc/default/nfs-kernel-server' does not appear in
package
dh_builddeb: command returned error code
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

I built the package by hand using ./configure, and make, and it builds
fine. However I'm uncertain how to install the appropriated support bits
(rc scripts et all) to make this work.

Can anyone provide some guidance here?

I suspect that the information I need is in debina/nfs-kernel-server.*, but
I'm unfamilar with the Debian packaging system at this level.

Thanls for any help.
neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin