Re: How to kill X?

On Sunday 05 October 2003 06:02, Neo wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:37, cr wrote:
<snip>
> > I just had a sieze in X, and Ctrl-Alt-F? had no effect,
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace was the only key combination that worked.     Is there
> > any setting that will restore its function of 'kill X but don't reboot
> > the machine'  or any other key combination that achieves that?
<snip>

> 	try loging in remotely and run '/etc/init.d/<gkx>dm stop'.
> (Fill in your running favorite display manager)

I had a long run of X siezures where I could remote in sometimes and
sometimes not.  Sometimes I had to reset and fsck.  No key sequences on the
siezed machine had any effect other than expressing my frustration.

FWIW, I changed my workstation from a machine with a crappy bare-bones video
card (Trident) to a machine with a less crappy bare bones video card (ATI
Rage something or another).  That put a stop to the X siezures.  Not an
elegant solution admittedly but I was able to run two desktops side by side
and compare stability.  I was not able to find any direct evidence that
positively suggested that I should change video cards.

Good luck.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)