Re: mailing list

on Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:44:03PM +1000, Pascal Hakim (pasc@debian.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:58:40AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Not true in all cases.  If your list mail is being relayed to you from
> > somewhere, your own mailbox bouncing messages *won't* unsubscribe you
> > from the Debian lists....largely because you weren't subscribed in the
> > first place.
> >

> Hey,
>
> 	This isn't 100% true. In most cases, the bounce-handler
> will figure out what address you subscribed with. Each message
> being sent out by the list software has a unique Return-path, which
> looks something like this:
>
> 	<bounce-debian-user=pasc=debian.org@lists.debian.org>
>
> If your mail server behaves correctly (99% of cases), it will
> respect this header, even when mail is being relayed, and bounces
> will work correctly, and get you unsubscribed.

I should know better than to tangle with the list manager, but...

In this case, it's not the person complaining wh gets unsubscribed, but
the relay address.

E.g.:

   relay@midhost.foo subscribes to debian-user.
   remoteguy@faraway.bar is forwarded mail by relay@midhost.foo

The bounce handler IIUC will be triggered if relay@midhost.foo starts
bouncing, but is *not* triggered by remoteguy@faraway.bar.

...or am I missing something?

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/