Problems installing libc6 2.3.2-8

Hi,

I've just started setting up a new Debian box, and after installing from
the 3.0r1 woody CD, I switched to using unstable package sources from
ftp.uk.debian.org. One of the packages updated as a result of installing
Apache was libc6 (2.3.2-8) which failed to install correctly. The output
from dpkg (citing a line in libc6.postinst) was something like:

Illegal instruction     sleep 1

I've tried reverting /etc/apt/sources.list to use stable sources and
then manually attempted to install an older version of libc6
(2.2.5-11.5) with dpkg, but this failed with an error message about
libdb1-compat.

I then began installing a few other packages and the libc6 error (from
dpkg) mysteriously disappeared (hence I can't recall it exactly). At
first I thought the problem had solved itself, but now I get the same
illegal instruction message when attempting to install mysql-server. It
appears libc6 is in some way broken.

Is there any means by which I can revert to an earlier version of libc6
without catastrophic consequences (I'm aware that it can't just be
removed and reinstalled)? Is this a known issue with unstable libc6 (I
couldn't find anything with a few googlings, nor in the debian-user
archive)?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Ben Darlow

Unless obviously public, this email is confidential to the intended recipient(s). If you received it in error please tell the sender and then delete it. We check emails from dyslexic.com and iansyst.co.uk, but you should virus check incoming emails. Emails do not always represent our official policy or a contract. Errors and omissions are excepted.

iANSYST Ltd, Fen House, Fen Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 1UN. T +44(0)1223 420101; Fax +44(0) 1223 42 66 44; Sales@dyslexic.com.