Re: USB not working, Need Help

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Ralph F. De Witt wrote:

> On Monday 06 October 2003 01:16 am, Marshal Wong wrote:
> > Check if /proc/bus/usb is mounted.  That maybe where KDE info center
> > gets its information.  (I don't use KDE, so I can't really help you
> > there).  If not, it can be mounted by "mount -t usbdevfs none
> > /proc/bus/usb" as root.
> This seems to be part of the problem. When I issued the mount command the
> three USB Root hubs now show up in the KDE INfo Center. However no USB
> devices are shown.
>

> > also check that /dev/ and/or /dev/usb/ has the device files for your usb
> > stuff.  (what do you have beside the scanner?)
> The device files for the scanner are the only things in dev.
> Besides the scanner I have a USB web camera and a three in one card reader.
> The easiest for me to check is the scanner.
>

> > With xsane, check the configuration files for xsane.  They should be
> > /etc/xsane or something like that.  You may have to edit the
> > configuration files to point xsane in the right direction.
> I have already edited the epson scanner config file to point to the proper USB
> device.
>

> > But lets make sure that usb is up and running first before tackling
> > xsane.  You got a USB mouse or something easy to test?
> The easiset for me to test is the scanner.
>
> Some things I noticed in synaptic is that devfsd is not installed, usbmgr is
> also not installed and could not be installed unmet dependencies. I am still
> using the knoppix initscripts and 2.4.22 xfs kernel. I am not sure if the
> devfsd is used.

usbmgr depends on libc6 so which version of usbmgr did you try to install?
apt-get install usbmgr/stable
apt-get install usbmgr/testing
apt-get install usbmgr/unstable
-----------------------------------
Running: apt-cache show usbmgr
Package: usbmgr
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 168
Maintainer: Yoshiaki Yanagihara <yochi@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.4.8-8
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1)
Filename: pool/main/u/usbmgr/usbmgr_0.4.8-8_i386.deb
Size: 37612
MD5sum: fd873c8580f9d7e9421a3951f40a30f5
 When USB devices connect into or disconnect from a USB hub,
 the usbmgr works as follows, according to configuration:
 .
   a) Load and unload Linux kernel modules.
   b) Execute scripts to setup USB devices.
 .
 usbmgr is available under linux kernels having "/proc/bus/usb".

Package: usbmgr
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 172
Maintainer: Yoshiaki Yanagihara <yochi@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.4.8-5
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Filename: pool/main/u/usbmgr/usbmgr_0.4.8-5_i386.deb
Size: 35934
MD5sum: b1547e46839f7a857771a7882965f2f4
 When USB devices connect into or disconnect from a USB hub,
 the usbmgr works as the following according to configuration.
 .
   a) Loads and unloads files Linux kernel modules.
   b) Execute file to setup USB devices.
 .
 usbmgr is available under linux kernel have "/proc/bus/usb".